I am definitely fucking making this one again. Not only did it get me a lot of the stuffing, more than I could use for the peppers, but it is fucking delicious. This recipe comes once again thanks to Ambitious Kitchen. Props to my sister in law for sending it to me via Pintrest.
What you need:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1-15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium sweet potato (peel if you prefer and I used 2)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped (I used what I had, not clue what type they were)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro(forgot this)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (not necessary)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (rarely if ever do I cook with salt, this was not one of those times)
- 3 large red bell peppers, seeded and cut vertically
- 3/4 cup reduced fat shredded colby jack cheese
- 4 Chicken Sausage, diced
- 1/2 c lentils
I cooked the lentils with the quinoa. I added the chicken sausage because I am not vegan and prefer to add some kind of meat/poultry for the extra protein. Beef could have also worked really well with this. I also used 4 red peppers and more cheese.
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a saute pan over medium heat with olive oil, add onions, jalapeno, and garlic.
- Saute until the onions are translucent. Then place in a bowl to the side
- Cook Quinoa (see bottom) then add into bowl with onion mixture.
- While quinoa is cooking, bring water to boil in medium pot.
- Add in sweet potatoes.
- Cook for about 6/7 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Drain water from sweet potato pot and add to onion and quinoa mixture.
- Also add in black beans, tomatoes, 1/2 cup veg broth, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cilantro, red pepper flakes, and pepper.
- Gently Mix it all together.
- Place red peppers on a baking pan and stuff with mixture.
- Cover with foil and cook for 20-30 minutes.
- Uncover then sprinkle cheese on top.
- Place back in oven for 5 minutes.
- BOOM DONE BITCHES!
How to Cook Quinoa(with lentils):
- Rinse quinoa (and lentils if added) using a mesh strainer in cold water.
- Bring 1 1/2 c of veg broth to boil in medium saucepan.
- Add quinoa (and lentils) and bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 15 min (it will absorb all the broth).
- Fluff with fork.
Seriously this came out really well. Like I mentioned before I had extra stuffing which makes a great meal by itself. Highly recommend to eat with Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream. If you still use sour cream go ahead, but plain Greek Yogurt is a great substitute and tastes the same (seriously try it). You can also add salsa, guacamole, or plain avocado.
Try it out and let me know what you think!
Your Friendly Neighborhood Puerto Rican,