For my recipe this week I decided to go with Lentils and Quinoa. I bought both a few weeks ago at an Indian Food store but had no idea what the hell to do with it.
This recipe came from Ambitious Kitchen:
I am no vegan but I decided to give this a try. I have full intention of adding chicken later on(usually have chicken cooked at all times).
What you need:
- 1 Tsp olive oil(I used Wegman’s Basting Oil cause damn it is good)
- 3 Garlic Cloves, mince that shit
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 pounds Tomatoes(I got organic canned from Stop and Shop)
- 1 Tsp cumin
- 4 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1/8 Tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp curry powder
- Pepper to taste
- Salt(I never use salt to cook but you may want to)
- 1 Tsp Turmeric (added it cause inflammation sucks and this helps, read about that shit)
- 3 C of Vegetable broth(Got mine organic from Stop and Shop)
- 1 C of Lentils, Rinse it
- 1/2 C Quinoa, Rinse(I made such a mess with this)
- 15 oz Can Kidney Beans, Rinse and Drain
- 15 oz Can Black Beans, Rinse and Drain
- 1/2 C Cilantro(I forget to use this)
- Avocado(optional but why wouldn’t you use it)
What to Do
- Heat oil in large pot.
- Add Garlic and cook until slightly brown
- Add Onion and Red Pepper and cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is translucent
- Add Tomatoes, cumin, chili, turmeric (optional), and pepper
- Bring that shit to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cook for 6-8 minutes. Tomatoes will begin to get mushier(that a word?)
- Add Broth, Quinoa, and Lentils. Bring to boil then simmer. Cover and let cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Add Black Beans, Kidney Beans, and Cilantro(I forgot this). You can add the rest of the broth here if you want.
- Let cook for few minutes
- Top with Avocado and cilantro
- ENJOY that shit!
Today was actually really damn easy and I made a shit load of chili. I can actually follow a recipe…sort of. I added more lentils than it called for because it seemed like too little. It took me about 36 minutes for the lentils to get soft enough for my liking. DAMN did the lentils fill up the pot after I was done. I thought the chili was going to spill over. Also the Quinoa expands. So watch out how much of both those ingredients you use. If you do not already go do yourself a favor and buy Wegman’s Basting Oil…HOLY SHIT does it make anything you cook better. I use it to make omelets and it makes a huge difference. Also, watch how the hell you rinse Quinoa. I used a regular plastic strainer that I thought had small holes. No it did not. Fuck did I make a mess. Super annoying but I suppose I learned to not be a dumb ass.
If you try this recipe out let me know how it went! Until next time
Your friendly neighborhood Puerto Rican who also can cook up some shit,