I need to learn to cook….badly. Normally, my meals consist of grilled chicken, steam fresh vegetables, and some kind of sauce. Lately, it has been tomato sauce and I have added Spaghetti squash. It is ridiculously easy to make and is great for a low carb meal. All you do is wash it, stab it, then place it in the microwave for about 10 minutes. BOOM. Seriously look that shit up.
Chicken gets old though and I love food. For 2014 I am going to make a new normal, cook regularly that are outside of my comfort zone.
Upon my weekly visits to food market establishments, I purchase something I have not yet tried. I am venturing into uncharted palate territory to find a new delicious sources of sustenance. I bitch out sometimes but when I do that I feel a disservice is being done. Originally, I would find a recipe online then go out and buy the ingredients. This sounds great in theory but most of the time I would forget and arrive with no idea what to buy. I rethought my plan and decided to just buy something then find what to make with it later. This is my most current attempt.
For me recipes need to fit a certain criteria:
- Cheap(I am a poor rican and am on a budget)
- Easy(I have remedial culinary skills)
- I need to make multiple meals at once(work smarter not harder)
- IF I can put nut butter on it, that is a big BONUS
I stumbled upon this recipe courtesy of StupidEasyPaleo.com for Stuffed Acorn Squash
I am not on a paleo diet but the term ‘stupid easy’ appealed to me.
What you need
- Acorn Squash
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 Onion
- 1 Apple
- 6 slices of bacon….or 10
- 1 Tbsp Rosemary
- 2 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Sage
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Bottle of wine
The recipe did call for 2 tsp of fennel seeds but honestly, I have no idea what the hell that is. They did not have it at Trader Joe’s so I left them out. I used Granny Smith apples because Trader Joe’s told me to on the sign and turkey bacon because I already had it. I also bought their Coconut oil spray for the baking sheets. The wine was for drinking during cooking.
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Cut the Squash in half then take the seeds out. Place on baking sheet. Be smart use foil to make life easier also spray that shit so avoid a sticky mess.
- Roast until flesh is tender. Took me about 50 minutes.
- Let cool. About 10 minutes.
Work smart, while that part is being done do the next few steps:
- Dice apple, onion and bacon.
- In large skillet brown the bacon, then throw in onions for 5-10 min (they will become translucent), then throw apples in for another 5-10 min.
- Remove the mixture and using the same skillet add ground beef and let it brown.
- Add all the spices. Mix then remove and add to the bacon/apple/onion mixture. Mix that shit.
- When the squash is cool to the touch use a scooper to take out some of the flesh. Don’t wait too long or it will get hard.
- Throw it in with the beef and mix that shit up.
- Put it all in the squash boats.
- Place in oven for 15 minutes at 375ºF until it is heated.
If done properly you accomplished a few things.
- You made a delicious meal with extra stuffing for later meals.
- You are drunk (like I am writing this).
- You finished a bottle of wine.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Puerto Rican,